- Scapula serves as the attachment site for 17 muscles
- Its normal function to stabilize the scapula to the thorax, provide power to the upper limb and synchronize glenohumeral motion.
- Normal Movements :
- Elevation and Upward rotation
- Scapular Protraction (Anterior and Lateral motion)
- By Serratus anterior and Pectoralis major and minor muscle
- Scapular Retraction (Medial motion)
- By Rhomboid major and minor muscles.
|Types of Scapular Winging :
- Two types based on direction of Inferior border of scapula
- Medial winging
- Serratus anterior (long thoracic nerve)
- Lateral winging
- Trapezius (CN XI – spinal accesory nerve)